Jalapeno Mesquite Jelly
Mary Lou Ellis
to make mesquite tea: 1.5 to 2 lbs. mesquite pods picked from the tree. break into small pcs. soak in water to remove bugs. drain and put into a crock pot and cover with 3-4 quarts of water and 1 cup lemon juice. bring to boil on high then turn to low and cook 10 hours or overnight. might need to add more water. Use to make jelly or syrup.
- mesquite tea (see personal note)
- jalapeno peppers seeded
- red pepper seeded
- 1 c
- cider vinegar
- 8 c
- 3 pkg
- liquid fruit pectin (3 oz ea)
How to Make Jalapeno Mesquite Jelly
- 1Puree peppers with vinegar in food process.
- 2Measure pepper/vinegar mixture and add mesquite tea to make 5 cups total.
- 3Bring pepper mixture to a hard boil. Add sugar. bring back to a boil and cook 10 min. stirring constantly.
- 4Add pectin. Bring mixture back to a hard boil and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- 5Pour into hot jelly jars leaving 1/4 in. head space. Top with 2 part lids. Process in a water bath 10 min. For high altitude ares, check the directions that came with the pectin. Remove and let cool. May take up to 2 days to jell. refrigerate after opening.