Jalapeno Mesquite Jelly
Mary Lou Ellis
to make mesquite tea: 1.5 to 2 lbs. mesquite pods picked from the tree. break into small pcs. soak in water to remove bugs. drain and put into a crock pot and cover with 3-4 quarts of water and 1 cup lemon juice. bring to boil on high then turn to low and cook 10 hours or overnight. might need to add more water. Use to make jelly or syrup.
How to Make Jalapeno Mesquite Jelly
- Puree peppers with vinegar in food process.
- Measure pepper/vinegar mixture and add mesquite tea to make 5 cups total.
- Bring pepper mixture to a hard boil. Add sugar. bring back to a boil and cook 10 min. stirring constantly.
- Add pectin. Bring mixture back to a hard boil and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour into hot jelly jars leaving 1/4 in. head space. Top with 2 part lids. Process in a water bath 10 min. For high altitude ares, check the directions that came with the pectin. Remove and let cool. May take up to 2 days to jell. refrigerate after opening.