Freezer Persimmon Jam
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1-1/2 lbfuyu or hachiya persimmons, soft-ripe
3 ozliquid pectin
1/4 clemon juice, fresh
How to Make Freezer Persimmon Jam
- Cut or pull off stems from persimmons; discard stems. If Fuyu persimmons are firm enough, peel with a knife. For soft fruit, cut in half and scoop out pulp. Discard any seeds and skin.
- If using Fuyu, mash pulp, or coarsely chop using a knife or food processor (do not puree); you should have 1-1/2 cups fruit.
If using Hachiya persimmons, cut pulp into about 1/2-inch chunks; you should have about 2 cups of fruit.
- In a bowl, mix fruit, sugar and nutmeg; let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix pectin and lemon juice; add to fruit and stir gently for 3 minutes.
- Fill 1/2-pint jars or freezer containers to 1/2 inch of rim. Cover, and let stand 12 to 16 hours at room temperature.
- You can store unopened jam in covered jars in the refrigerator up to 6 months, up to 1 month if opened. Or freeze to store longer; cover and chill thawed jam.