Citron Preserve (Red Seeded Watermelon)
How to Make Citron Preserve (Red Seeded Watermelon)
- 1Okay this is the fun part (not) you will need to cut your melon in quarters and remove the seeds. This is the time consuming part! Save the seeds to replant next year. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 2Next you will need to cover the fruit with a weak brin of 3 teaspoons of salt to 3 quarts of water and let stand over night.
- 3Next Day - Drain the fruit and place on low heat, adding the sugar, lemon and ginger, add enough water to incorporate the sugar and spice, you will then need to add a little water from time to time to keep it from burning. Bring slowly to a boil and cook until the fruit is transparent and tender without letting it get mushy. The syrup should be slightly thick. Pour into sterlized jars and seal.
- 4This is a time consuming recipe but it is well worth it to have your own citron!
- 5Note: If you are a working person, save this recipe for the weekend! Trust me I learned the hard way:)!
- 6Hearth Method: Follow Modern Method but Cook in a kettle over a moderate fire.