CANNED GRAPE JELLY (Regular & On The Lighter Side)
Peggi Anne Tebben
A fellow JAP member asked for a recipe for canning red grape jelly.
Parts of this I got from a Ball Blue Book.
- 5 cups grape juice (about 4 1/2 pounds concord grapes and 1/2 cup water)
- 1 package powdered pectin, like sure jell
- 6 cups sugar
How to Make CANNED GRAPE JELLY (Regular & On The Lighter Side)
- 1To prepare juice: Select one-fourth firm-ripe and threefourths fully-ripe grapes. Wash and stem grapes. Crush grapes.
- 2Add water; cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- 3To prevent formation of tartrate crystals in jelly, let juice stand in a cool place 12 to 24 hours; strain through a damp jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth to remove crystals that have formed.
- 4Combine grape juice and pectin in a large saucepot.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- 6Return mixture to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute,stirring constantly.
- 7Skim foam if necessary.
- 8Heat the flat parts of your lids in a small saucepan of water that covers lids until boiling.
- 9Ladle hot jelly into hot. sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
- 10Place on the lids & adjust. Only should be finger tight.
- 11Process 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
This means to place jars in a large pot of hot water about the same temperature as the jars of jelly you are putting in there, so they won't break.Water needs to be just over the top of the jars.
Place over high heat, with lid on canner & bring water to a boil.
When water starts to boil, start timing your 5 minutes.
Turn off heat & remove from canner & place on kitchen towel to drain & cool. Leave room in between jars for cooling. Do not touch the jars until the next day.
- 12Check jars a few hours after you bring them out to make sure they sealed & the kids are sunk in, not popped up. If they are not sealed after 3 hours, put new lid on & reseal.
- 13ON THE LIGHTER SIDE:
GRAPE JELLY with GELATIN
2 packages or 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 bottle (24 ounces) unsweetened grape juice
2 tablespoons unsweetened lemon juice
2 tablespoons liquid sweetener
In a saucepan, soften gelatin in grape juice and lemon juice.
Bring to a rolling boil, dissolving gelatin; boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Stir in liquid sweetener.
Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal.
Store in refrigerator. Yield: about 1 pint ( 1 tablespoon = 11 calories.)