Bacon Jam Spread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Oh this is going to be a BIG hit at my next family reunion. I have some cousins that LOVE bacon!
One tip ... Make sure that you are very attentive to this recipe and stir often. The brown sugar and the maple syrup have a tendency to burn. The Test Kitchen
- 1 lb
- smoked bacon, add liquid smoke if you like
- 4 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 medium
- onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- tabasco sauce according to taste
- 1 c
- strong coffee
- 1/4 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c
- maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- extra water
How to Make Bacon Jam Spread
- 1In a non-stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 2Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.
- 3Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water.
- 4Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.
- 5When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor.
- 6Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste-like.