Bacon Jam Spread
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Oh this is going to be a BIG hit at my next family reunion. I have some cousins that LOVE bacon!
One tip ... Make sure that you are very attentive to this recipe and stir often. The brown sugar and the maple syrup have a tendency to burn. The Test Kitchen
1 lbsmoked bacon, add liquid smoke if you like
4 clovegarlic, chopped
1 mediumonion, sliced
3 Tbspbrown sugar, firmly packed
·tabasco sauce according to taste
1 cstrong coffee
1/4 capple cider vinegar
1/4 cmaple syrup
·salt and pepper
How to Make Bacon Jam Spread
- In a non-stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.
- Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water.
- Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.
- When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor.
- Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste-like.