- 1 lb
- good quality smoked bacon
- 1 small
- onion, finely cohopped
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed red chili flakes (or to taste - i usually use a bit more)
- 1/2 c
- strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/3 c
- packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- maple syrup
How to Make Bacon Jam
- 1Chop up the bacon as finely as you can. (easier to chop when still cold) Saute bacon in a large, deep frying pan until it is crisp. Remove cooked bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
Pour off all but about a tablespoon of the fat and add the onion to the pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Add the brown sugar, cooking and stirring constantly until the onions are slightly caramelized. Add the garlic and chili flakes, stirring in well.
- 2Pour in the coffee, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup, stirring to bring up any of the bits on the bottom of the pan.
- 3Add the cooled bacon back to the pan, stirring to coat. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 hours until the mixture is thick and syrupy.
Spoon into a clean 250 ml mason jar and top with a screw on a lid. Store in the fridge for a few weeks.
This is great on toast or on assorted crackers as an appetizer. Also wonderful on grilled hamburgers!
*If you only use instant coffee - stir 3 heaping tablespoons of instant coffee into a 1/2 cup of hot water for the strong coffee.
* Not many in my big family, including myself, care for maple flavor so I usually omit the
maple syrup, but if you like maple, do add it as the end result has just a 'hint' of maple flavor. OR - you could use maple bacon and omit the syrup.