★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 lbgranny smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 capple cider
1/4 cpacked dark brown sugar
1 tsplemon juice
1/4-1 tspground cloves (i like to add a bit of apple pie spice if i have any as well)
(2) 3 inch stickcinnamon sticks
How to Make Apple Butter
- Combine apples and cider in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Place apple mixture in a food processor; pulse 6 times or until chunky. Return to pan. (you could also mash by hand by pushing through a wire strainer with the back of a spoon, then repeating the process until you get the correct consistency)
- Stir in sugar and remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat 1 hour or until thick, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon.Cover and chill.
- Note: Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 month. I like to save an old peanut butter jar that's been cleaned and sanitized.