This recipe makes enough to accompany a 12-14 lb turkey.
For fantastic turkey drippings be sure to add 1 cup each of chopped onions, carrots, and celery along with fresh thyme sprigs and 1 cup of water to the roasting pan before the turkey goes into the oven.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspvegetable oil
·reserved turkey giblets and neck from turkey
1onion, unpeeled and chopped
4 cchicken broth, low sodium
2 sprig(s)fresh thyme
8parsley with stems
3 Tbspbutter, unsalted
1/4 cflour, all purpose
1 cdry white wine
How to Make Turkey Gravy
- MAKE THE BROTH: heat oil in large saucepan over med-high heat. Brown turkey giblets and neck for 5 minutes. Add onion and for 3 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and water, scrape pan bottom and bring to boil. Add herbs and simmer 30 minutes, skimming foam from surface.
- Pour turkey broth through fine-mesh strainer, saving vegetables in strainer for step #7. Reserve and dice heart and gizzard. Refrigerate broth and diced giblets until ready to use. Reserve 1 cup broth for later deglazing.
- MAKE THE ROUX AND THICKEN THE BROTH: melt butter in large saucepan over med-low heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring constantly until nutty brown and fragrant, 10-15 minutes.
- Gradually (slow drizzle) add hot turkey broth to roux. Vigorous and constant whisking at this point is key to avoiding lumps.
- Simmer gravy, stirring occasionally and skimming scum from surface with spoon, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Set aside covered until turkey is done.
- DEGLAZE THE PAN AND ADD THE TURKEY DRIPPINGS TO THE GRAVY: Pour drippings through mesh strainer set over measuring cup. Let liquid settle until fat rises to top. Return vegetables in strainer to roasting pan.
- Tilt measuring cup of drippings and use wide, shallow soup spoon to skim fat off surface. Save defatted drippings. Return gravy in saucepan to simmer.
- Place roasting pan with vegetable over two burners at med-high heat. Add wine and reserved 1 cup turkey broth and scrape up browned bits in pan. Boil until liquid reduces by half, 5 minutes.
- Strain roasting pan liquid into gravy, pressing on solids to extract all liquid. Add defatted drippings to taste. Stir in giblets (if desired) and serve.