Tomato Sauce (Gravy) As taught to me by Fran Mestichelli
I learned this On Chrismas'es mornings as I watched Fran make this sauce and her Raviolis. I stood behind her each year and watched her make this awesome goodness.I have not used jared sauce from the first time I saw this made...
How to Make Tomato Sauce (Gravy) As taught to me by Fran Mestichelli
- 1In a 5 quart or bigger sauce pan heat 1 or 2 TBSP of olive oil.
- 2in the heated oil place 1 small chopped onion, cook til tender add 3 smashed and peeled cloves of garlic & 1 lrge chopped bell pepper.
- 3When pepper starts to get tender add sliced fresh mushroom.Cook till mushroom starts changing color
- 4Add you Spices. I like heavy on the basil,Oregeno,Fennel seed, a little salt & pepper. This is where you make the sauce your own by spicing the way you like.
- 5add a splash of wine or Sherry enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook til most of the liquid is cooked off
- 6Add 1 16 oz can tomatoe puree, 1 can 32oz tomatoe sauce,1 to 2 TBSp tomatoe paste.
- 7Bring to a boil, add a pinch of sugar (important) Reduce heat and simmer about an hr or so, til all the flavors are blended together and sauce has thickened .
- 8Meat can be added to this Sauce. Add the meat before adding the tomatoes. If you are adding spicey sausage your sauce will be spicy.I like it that way, but for company I cook the sausage on the side,keeping the gravy sweet tasting and easy on the tummy.