Spicy Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 2 lb
- spicy breakfast sausage ( i use hot)
- 1 stick
- salted butter ( or unsalted and you add salt )
- 1/2 c
- 4 c
- whole milk or heavy cream or fatty milk of any sort
- 1 pinch
- 1 pinch
- 1/2 tsp
- red pepper flakes ( optional )
How to Make Spicy Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 1In a heavy large saucepan, add butter and melt. (Don't brown the butter.) Once the butter is melted add flour and wisk until it smells like peanut butter. Trust me, it does smell like peanut butter so get your nose down there. Don't wait, as soon as it smells like peanut butter add milk, about 1 cup and wisk until creamy. Add more milk as the white sauce thickens and keep adding until the sauce stays at a consistency that you like. Wisk frequently to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Add salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes to taste.
This step is crucial: Check the sauce, does it look glossy? If not glossy to the look, add another stick of butter. The fat content will depend on the grease in the sausage so you may need to add more butter.
- 2While the white sauce is simmering, brown the sausage. Combine, grease and all in the white sauce and stir. This sausage gravy is phenomenal and can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat just slide in the microwave and heat, stir and heat.
Bet you were all thinking there was some light fluffy biscuit recipe included? Not!! I prefer to save time and buy the frozen Pillsbury Southern biscuit dough. Any biscuit recipe will do if you like the mess and wish the pride of using a homemade biscuit.
The good thing about this recipe is it teaches a novice how to make an excellent white sauce.