4 Tbspvegetable oil
·ground black pepper, to taste
·salt, to taste
2 cbeef broth, hot
1/3 conion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tspfresh garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
1 1/2 tspparsley, fresh
1 cfresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cdry white wine
How to Make Mushroom Gravy
- Heat oil in skillet on medium-high and add flour to make a thin roux. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- When the roux becomes a nice opaque tan, slowly pour in the broth, whisking quickly as you do this to avoid lumps.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and let bubble (not boil) for about 5 minutes, to thicken, stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Then turn heat to low, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Keep stirred!
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another skillet and add onion, mushrooms, garlic, and parsley.
- Saute until onions are almost transparent.
- Slowly pour in wine and saute vegetables until wine cooks down 3/4 of the way.
- Add vegetables to beef gravy and bring heat back to medium, let bubble about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and serve over your choice.