JEWEL'S SELF RISING BISCUITS & Sausage Gravy
- 3 c
- self rising flour
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 c
- crisco, butter flavored
- 1 c
- whole butter milk + 3 to 4 tbsp
- melted bacon drippings
- 3/4 lb
- fatty sausage - mild flavored
- 6 - 7 Tbsp
- 4 c
- 1/4 tsp
- salt and black pepper
SELF RISING BISCUITS
How to Make JEWEL'S SELF RISING BISCUITS & Sausage Gravy
- 1BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- 2Mix flour and baking powder and sift together. Add Crisco, mix with a fork until shortening is incorporated and flour looks grainy, be sure to mix well.
- 3Add the 1 cup of buttermilk, stir well, if too dry add more buttermilk one Tablespoon at a time. When mixed well, it should easily turn out of mixing bowl on to a lightly floured surface. Press dough out to 3/4 inch thick (it will be kind of sticky and that's how you want it). Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. It should make about 10 - 11 biscuits. Place 1 inch apart in the baking pan.
- 4With a pastry brush, brush bacon drippings on top of biscuits. Place in pre heated 450 oven for 12 - 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- 5SAUSAGE GRAVY:Crumble sausage in large heavy skillet on medium / high heat. Stir with spatula until sausage is all completely brown. As soon as sausage is brown, turn down heat to medium low. add flour one table spoon at a time, stirring constantly to brown among the crumbled sausage and sausage drippings. Repeat until you have used all flour. The flour and drippings should be a soft brown. Add the salt and black pepper (you can add more at the table if necessary). Add the milk and use a whisk to blend real well. Turn heat back to up a little and let mixture come to a low boil. It will thicken as you continue to stir. When thicken consistency is reached, pour into gravy bowl. Serve gravy and biscuits together. Can add scrambled eggs if you like.