Green Chile Gravy for Biscuits and Hashbrowns
1/2 cdiced green chiles
1 lbdiced cold bacon (see hint below)
1/2 call purpose flour plus 1/4 cup
2 cwhole milk
2 cheavy cream
1 tspblack pepper
How to Make Green Chile Gravy for Biscuits and Hashbrowns
- Use a cast iron skillet if you can heat to medium heat.
- Fry the diced bacon until crisp remove bacon but reserve the bacon grease for the roux.
If you prefer pork chop use the fatty pork steak as an alternative may need to add oil. Dice it before cooking.
- Make a roux using the bacon grease and start with 1/2 cup of flour stir until the flour stops foaming. Cook a minute more.
- At this point you can add back your diced bacon or pork to the gravy. It does add flavor but not necessary sometimes that bacon disappears as we cook!
- Incrase the heat to medium high and add the salt and pepper stirring begin adding the milk and cream slowly keep stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Turn down the heat to medium low continue to stir taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- In the last minute add the green chiles mix thoroughly to warm through and let the flavors meld.
- Serve over hashbrowns, eggs, biscuits. MMMMMMMM
- Additional ingredeints I have used: red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup of diced onion (fried with the bacon), hot pork sausage (about a pound), cheddar cheese crumbles (crumbles or diced cubes because I didn't want a "chile cheese sauce"
If you do not have cream or whole milk I use canned milk never know the difference!
If you cannot tolerate flour use corn starch as your thickener.