Fried Green tomato & Bacon sandwich with gravy
4 mediumgreen tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cyellow cornmeal
3/4 cflour,self rising
1/4 tspwhite pepper
6 slicebread of choice
How to Make Fried Green tomato & Bacon sandwich with gravy
- fry bacon in skillet over med high heat until perfectly crisp. turn off skillet. Remove 3 TBS of bacon grease to a small bowl to use later.
Leave rest of grease in skillet.
- Remove bacon to paper towels to drain.
- slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
- mix milk, beaten egg in a bowl. You will use this to soak tomatoes.
- in a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, cayenne, and white pepper, mix well.
- soak tomatoes in milk mixture.
- coat one at a time in flour mixture.
- Reheat grease that we left in skillet on med high heat.
- Cook tomatoes in batches trying not to crowd. turn when tomato reaches a golden brown. repeat on flip side. Drain. Place on a plate.
- Bacon Gravy Ingredients & Directions;
- 3 TBS of bacon grease
5 TBS. of flour, packed.
1 1/2 cups milk.
white pepper to taste.
- In skillet heat bacon grease with pepper.
Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until mixture turns light brown color.
- Add milk 1/2 cup at a time while constantly stirring,continue to add milk until gravy is nice and thick. Taste and salt. turn skillet gravy on low heat.
- Place 1 slice of bread on plate; smother in gravy. Add slices of crispy fried tomatoes & crispy bacon. I do not cover bacon & tomatoes with gravy as I like the crunch but feel free to top with another slice of bread & smother with more gravy. I do sprinkle pepper flakes on mine but I did not add to recipe.