Fried Green tomato & Bacon sandwich with gravy
- 1 lb
- 4 medium
- green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 c
- flour,self rising
- 1/4 c
- egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- white pepper
- 6 slice
- bread of choice
How to Make Fried Green tomato & Bacon sandwich with gravy
- 1fry bacon in skillet over med high heat until perfectly crisp. turn off skillet. Remove 3 TBS of bacon grease to a small bowl to use later.
Leave rest of grease in skillet.
- 2Remove bacon to paper towels to drain.
- 3slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
- 4mix milk, beaten egg in a bowl. You will use this to soak tomatoes.
- 5in a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, cayenne, and white pepper, mix well.
- 6soak tomatoes in milk mixture.
- 7coat one at a time in flour mixture.
- 8Reheat grease that we left in skillet on med high heat.
- 9Cook tomatoes in batches trying not to crowd. turn when tomato reaches a golden brown. repeat on flip side. Drain. Place on a plate.
- 10Bacon Gravy Ingredients & Directions;
- 113 TBS of bacon grease
5 TBS. of flour, packed.
1 1/2 cups milk.
white pepper to taste.
- 12In skillet heat bacon grease with pepper.
Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until mixture turns light brown color.
- 13Add milk 1/2 cup at a time while constantly stirring,continue to add milk until gravy is nice and thick. Taste and salt. turn skillet gravy on low heat.
- 14Place 1 slice of bread on plate; smother in gravy. Add slices of crispy fried tomatoes & crispy bacon. I do not cover bacon & tomatoes with gravy as I like the crunch but feel free to top with another slice of bread & smother with more gravy. I do sprinkle pepper flakes on mine but I did not add to recipe.