Day Ahead Giblet Pan Gravy
Andy Anderson !
To minimize the stress, we’re going to work through half of the recipe, the day before, and then finish it up on Thanksgiving while the turkey is resting.
Well, what do you say… Let’s make some day-ahead pan gravy.
- 2 Tbsp
- oil, peanut, canola, or grapeseed
- turkey neck, heart, and gizzard
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 6 c
- chicken broth
- 3 c
- filtered water
- 3 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- parsley, stems
- 6 Tbsp
- sweet butter, unsalted
- 1/4 c
- flour, all purpose
- 1 c
- white wine, dry
- salt, and ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Day Ahead Giblet Pan Gravy
- 1Chef's Note: This is an excellent tasting gravy; however, if you use a brine for your turkey, then there are two things to remember. Don't add any salt to the gravy, and use a low-sodium chicken stock.
The pan drippings from a brined turkey will contain extra salt from the brining process... so, you probably will not need additional salt.
- 2Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- 5Reduce heat to low; cover the pan, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until turkey parts and onion release their juices, about 20 minutes.
- 6Add chicken broth, water, and the herbs; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, skimming any scum that rises to surface, until broth is rich and flavorful, about 30 minutes.
- 8Reserve the heart and gizzard; however, you can discard the neck.
Dice the heart and gizzard, and reserve, separate from the gravy, until Thanksgiving Day.
- 10Whisk in the cooked broth, plus the wine, and then increase to medium-high and bring to boil.
- 11Immediately, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and flavorful, about 30 minutes.
Add a bit of salt, and pepper, but remember to omit the salt, if you brined the turkey.
- 12THE BIG EVENT
- 13Remove the bowl from the refrigerator, just before the turkey comes out of the oven, place into a pot, and warm, but don’t boil the liquid.
- 14Remove the drippings from the pan, and de-fat.