Salted Caramel Sauce
This sauce would be PERFECT on MANY desserts...ice cream, cake, pie, fruit...or just right out of the bowl with a spoon!
- 1 c
- dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 2/3 c
- 1 stick
- (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream (may use half and half or whole milk)
- 1 tsp
- 1 - 2 tsp
How to Make Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1Put sugars and water in small, heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Boil for 4 minutes. It will be dark because of the brown sugar. Do NOT overcook it or you'll burn the sugar and have to start over.
- 2Remove from heat, add cream, salt and butter and whisk until well blended.
NOTE: Start with 1 tsp salt and stir. Add more to taste. It should be salty, but not briny.
- 3May be served warm, room temp, or chilled. Note: if served chilled, make sure you stir it up well before serving as it tends to separate when cold.
- 4This stores nicely in the refrigerator for at least a week or so in a sealed plastic container or glass jar.