Pickled Watermelon Rinds
This is just the perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and refreshing.
·rind from a medium watermelon, green trimmed in 1in pieces
2 Tbspwhole cloves
1 Tbspallspice, whole
1 Tbspfresh ginger, sliced
1lemon, sliced and seeded
5drops of red food coloring
How to Make Pickled Watermelon Rinds
- In a large saucepan with a lid, place rinds, water, and salt. Boil, then reduce heat to low boil. Cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat off. Let sit, covered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Bring to boil, then lower heat. Cook covered for 20 minutes. Strain, and reserve syrup, and return syrup to pot to low boil for 10 minutes.
- Separate rinds from spices, lemon, and ginger. Take rinds and fill jars a little over half way.
- About the last minute of low boiling syrup, add about 5 drops of red food coloring (optional).
- Ladle syrup into jars, leaving about 1/2in gap from top.
- Seal with two part lids and can using the water bath process.