Pickled Watermelon Rinds
This is just the perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and refreshing.
- rind from a medium watermelon, green trimmed in 1in pieces
- 3/4 c
- 3 qt
- 5 c
- 3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- whole cloves
- cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp
- allspice, whole
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ginger, sliced
- lemon, sliced and seeded
- drops of red food coloring
How to Make Pickled Watermelon Rinds
- 1In a large saucepan with a lid, place rinds, water, and salt. Boil, then reduce heat to low boil. Cook covered for 30 minutes.
- 2Turn heat off. Let sit, covered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- 4Bring to boil, then lower heat. Cook covered for 20 minutes. Strain, and reserve syrup, and return syrup to pot to low boil for 10 minutes.
- 5Separate rinds from spices, lemon, and ginger. Take rinds and fill jars a little over half way.
- 6About the last minute of low boiling syrup, add about 5 drops of red food coloring (optional).
- 7Ladle syrup into jars, leaving about 1/2in gap from top.
- 8Seal with two part lids and can using the water bath process.