1/3 ccider vinegar
1/2 clight brown sugar
1small jalapeno chile
1inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1garlic clove, finely chopped
5cardamon pods, bruised
1/2 tspcoriander seeds, crushed
How to Make Mango Chutney
- To bruise a cardamom pod you must lightly tap it with a knife or blunt object without cracking it open. The idea is to keep the seeds contained in the pod while allowing the flavors to seep out.
- Firmer mangoes are ideal for chutneys. Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh off the pit. Slice them lengthwise, then cut into small chunks or wedges.
- Place these in a large saucepan, add the vinegar and cover; Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar, chile, ginger garlic, bruised cardamom pods and coriander seeds. Add the bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil slowly, stirring the mixture often.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the mixture is thick and syrupy. Remove the cardamom pods and remove and discard the bay leaf.