Lemon Pickles with Spices
I love these pickles and they are easy to make... When I bring these to pot lucks... they are always a hit!
*** If you don't want to can them, make smaller batch and keep refriegerated as directed in recipe...
40 largelemons (cut in 1/4 inch slices)
1 tspcanning salt
1 1/4 cwater
4 1/4 ccider vinegar
1 Tbspwhole cloves
1 Tbspallspice (whole)
4 - 6 slicefresh ginger (sliced about 1/4 inch thick)
How to Make Lemon Pickles with Spices
- Wash the lemons thouroughly. Slice lemons 1/4 inch thick. DO NOT peel the lemons!
- Sterilize 20 half pint jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Put all of the spice pieces into a cheese cloth bag or stainless steel spice balls.
- Place the sugar, salt, spice bag, water and vinegar in large stainless steel pot.
Bring to a boil. Boil for 6 minutes stirring constantly.
- Put the lemon slices into the boiling syrup. Boil 1 minute, gently stirring and "tossing".
Remove spice bag.
- Stack the lemon slices into the hot steril jars. Cover lemon slices with the hot syrup. Leave 1/2 inch "head space" in the jars.
- Wipe the rims and place lids and rings. tighten to fingertip tightness.
Place in boiling water bath to cover jars by 3 inches above the lids. Bring back to a boil with the canner lid on. Boil for 15 minutes.
Remove the jars to a towel lined counter or table. Leave sitting undisturbed for 24 hours before storing in pantry.
- *** The pickles will not be ready to eat for 4-5 weeks.
*** Any jars that did not seal... can be stored in the refrigerator for 6 months.