I just love this curd- it has so many uses.
- 1/2 lb
- fresh whole cranberries (about 2 1/2 cups)12 ounces
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice
- 3 large
- egg yolks
- 1 large
- whole egg
- 1 1/2 tsp
- cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp
- grand marnier,optional
How to Make Cranberry Curd
- 1In a small saucepan, combine the first 3 ingredients over medium heat. Cook until the berries pop and the liquid bubbles. Remove from heat and pour into a strainer, pressing well with a spoon. Be sure to scrape all the red puree on the underside of the strainer into the bowl also.
Pour puree back into the saucepan and set aside to cool.
- 2Whisk the egg yolks and whole egg until combined. While whisking pour in both the sugars , and butter whisking until light yellow. Add the egg mixture to the cranberry puree in the sauce pan,and the cornstarch mixture, continue whisking, until creamy and well incorporated, takes about 1 minute.
- 3Place over medium heat, still whisking, until the custard thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon- 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in liqueur. Strain, if desired, into a bowl or jar,(or leave as it is) cover surface with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.