1- 12 ozcranberries, fresh
1 1/2 corange juice - not from concentrate
2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed. i like dark brown sugar
2 mediumapples, granny smith or fuj
·ball canning jars
How to Make Cranberry Chutney
- Wash jars and lids and bands in HOT SOAPY water. RINSE WELL. Place glass canning jars in a pot 1/2 filled with boiling water. Keep at a slow simmer until ready to fill to minimize risk of breakage when filling with hot food.
- Rinse Cranberries, and pick thru them.
Zest skin from lemon and orange chop well. Squeeze juice from lemon and orange.
- Peel, core, and chop apples into chunks.
- Mix zest w/ juice from orange and lemon and pour over apples. Stir well.
This keeps the apples from turning brown.
- In a large pot over medium heat add CRANBERRIES and
1 1/2 C. ORANGE JUICE - bring to a SLOW boil for 5 minutes
The cranberries will make a popping sound.
DON'T OVER BOIL, or your chutney will be MUSHY
REMOVE FROM HEAT
- Add BROWN SUGAR, APPLE MIXTURE and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Stir in NUTS.
- Remove 1 jar at a time from simmering water.
FILL each jar w/ chutney & juice. LEAVE ROOM at top of jar for expansion. Place inner ring on top of glass jar and tighten only finger tight w/outer ring - NOT EXTRA tight
Place jar on a TOWEL on the counter.
- Wipe rim of each jar & tighten 2 parts of lid. S.
To properly seal jars FOLLOW DIRECTIONS that came with jars or check www.freshpreserving.com/
Put the jars in a pot with boiling water. Cover w/ 1 inch water & boil according to directions for your altitude to properly seal the lids...
- Once all jars are boiled for recommended amount of time, turn off heat,
& let jars stay in pot for 5 minutes. Remove with TONGS.
Place jars on a CLEAN dish cloth on counter. You want to cool on towel... As jars cool, you may hear a POP. Lids shouldn't move up & down when pressed in center after cooled. Directions on canning site say leave on counter 12 hours.
Do not immediately put hot jars in fridge, temp change may cause them to break.
- If the lid flexes, the jar did not seal properly.
You may refrigerate for immediate use.
Or for directions on how to safely re-process the jar,
see FreshPreserving.com or the Ball Blue Book® guide for detailed
- Need help from experts?
Email or Call