This recipe will make about 8-9 half-pint jars.
6 lbtart apples (about 20 apples)
3 capple cider or juice or water
2 cwhite sugar
1 cbrown sugar
How to Make Apple Butter
- Wash and quarter apples. Place in 4-6 quart kettle or Dutch oven with the water/juice. Cook until soft, about 15 minutes - 1/2 hour. Press through food mill. (If you don't have a food mill, you'll have to peel and core the apples before you cook them.)
- Place resulting apple sauce into slow cooker or small Nesco roaster. Set to low or 220ºF and cover. Let cook overnight.
- In the morning, add sugars and spices. Cook at least another 4 or more hours or until mixture is quite dark. If you want super smooth apple butter, whisk with immersion blender when you're done cooking.
- NOTE - I cook the apples in smaller batches and use part of the liquid for each batch. They get soft quicker that way!
- NOTE 2: The last time I made this, I let it cook in the crock pot the second day until that afternoon, so way more that 4 hours.