Mrs. Daniels Pepper Relish
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- green bell peppers - large
- 8 - 12
- red bell peppers - large
- 4 - 5 c
- granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 c
- white vinegar
- 2 medium
- white onions
- 1/8 c
- 6 pt
- sterilized good quality canning jars
How to Make Mrs. Daniels Pepper Relish
- 1Wash, remove tops, remove pithy innards and seeds and rewash bell peppers.
- 2Slice into rings and put into food processor and chop until peppers are in small pieces about the size of a half of a green pea or smaller.
- 3Peel, slice and dice onions to same size.
- 4Transfer all to stock pot. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir thoroughly.
- 5Taste. Decide if you want sweeter or tarter relish and adjust.
- 6Bring to a boil then cut down to low boil, stirring frequently to avoid sticking to bottom of pan or sugar burning. Cook about 2 hours until peppers and onions are thick.
- 7Pour into sterilized jars and place rings on top. Screw rings on lightly.
Some like to do a water boil but I never do, the vinegar and sugar 'pickle' this, however, if you feel more comfortable by all means do a hot water bath for 10 - 15 miuntes of a hard boil.
When jars are cool, tighten lids, checking first to make sure lids are secure and do not pop when depressed in the middle.
- 8Be sure to put up out of sight or be prepared to make more batches. This is a beautiful relish and so delicious that once word gets out, it disappears from your shelves!!