Mrs. Daniels Pepper Relish
★★★★★ 1 vote5
12green bell peppers - large
8 - 12red bell peppers - large
4 - 5 cgranulated white sugar
1 3/4 cwhite vinegar
2 mediumwhite onions
6 ptsterilized good quality canning jars
How to Make Mrs. Daniels Pepper Relish
- Wash, remove tops, remove pithy innards and seeds and rewash bell peppers.
- Slice into rings and put into food processor and chop until peppers are in small pieces about the size of a half of a green pea or smaller.
- Peel, slice and dice onions to same size.
- Transfer all to stock pot. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir thoroughly.
- Taste. Decide if you want sweeter or tarter relish and adjust.
- Bring to a boil then cut down to low boil, stirring frequently to avoid sticking to bottom of pan or sugar burning. Cook about 2 hours until peppers and onions are thick.
- Pour into sterilized jars and place rings on top. Screw rings on lightly.
Some like to do a water boil but I never do, the vinegar and sugar 'pickle' this, however, if you feel more comfortable by all means do a hot water bath for 10 - 15 miuntes of a hard boil.
When jars are cool, tighten lids, checking first to make sure lids are secure and do not pop when depressed in the middle.
- Be sure to put up out of sight or be prepared to make more batches. This is a beautiful relish and so delicious that once word gets out, it disappears from your shelves!!