Mom's Thanksgiving Sausage Dressing
3/4 lbsweet italian sausage out of casing
1/4 lbsliced genoa salami (cut up into small pieces)
1/4 lbsliced deli ham (cut up into small pieces)
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 cromano or parmesan cheese, grated
·italian bread crumbs
1/2loaf of stale italian bread plus a few slices of any leftover bread you have (i actually use bread i have in the freezer...italian, whole wheat, rye, etc)
·seasonings - i use salt, pepper, parsley and basil
How to Make Mom's Thanksgiving Sausage Dressing
- DISCLAIMER ;-)
I don't measure when making my dressing so the measurements are my best guess. I'll take notes while I make it this week and then I'll adjust the recipe.
- Brown the sausage in a large saute pan, in a little bit of oil. Break it up as you fry it. Remove and put aside.
- Melt the stick of butter in the saute pan and then add the onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add the salami, ham and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, parsely and basil to taste. Add the apple. Cook about 5 more minutes.
- While all this sauteing is going on, soak the break in a bowl of warm water. When the break is saturated, remove from water and squeeze out all the water. Break up the wet bread and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the meat mixture and the sausagea to the large bowl with the bread and add the eggs, cheese, and additional seasonings. Mix well. Add some bread crumbs. If the dressing seems too wet, all more bread or bread crumbs. If it's too dry add some chicken broth.
- Put the dressing in a casserole and bake covered at 350 degrees for about a half hour. Then uncover it and bake until the top turn light brown and a little crunchy...maybe about 15 minutes. (Times are approximate.)
- NOTE: I make mine the day before, bring it to room temp on Thanksgiving day and stick it in the oven when the turkey has about a half hour of cook time left.