Apple and Herb bread pudding dressing
8 ccubed bread, i used country boule
1/4 cunsalted butter
2 cdiced onion ( 1 lg onion)
1 cchopped celery ( 2 lg. stocks)
1granny smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 csherry, medium or dry
2 Tbspfresh rosemary, finely chopped
·salt and pepper
1/2 cfresh parsley, finely chopped
5extra- large eggs, or 6 large
2 cheavy cream
1 cchicken stock, no salt
2 cgruyere cheese, grated (8oz)
How to Make Apple and Herb bread pudding dressing
- This recipe is like a bread pudding, the longer you let it sit the creamier it gets. You can make this the day before for even better results.
- Preheat oven to 350* Arrange the cubed bread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- While bread is in the oven, heat butter in skillet on medium low heat. Add pancetta to the pan. Increase heat to medium and saute until browned.
- Add onion, celery and apple to skillet and cook until tender
- Stir in sherry, rosemary, 1 t. salt, 1 t. pepper. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
- In a very large bowl, whip eggs, cream, chicken stock and 1 1/2 c. Gruyere cheese together. Add the toasted bread. Stir and then add the vegetable mixture. Mix well until everything is combined.
- Let stand for 30 minutes (if you're making it the day before, this is where you place it in pan, cover and refrigerate.)
Place it in casserole pan, top it with remaining Gruyere cheese.
- Place in oven and cook for 45-50 minutes or until top is brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean.