Steamed Clams with garlic butter
- 4 lbs clams in the shells for steaming
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 c white vinegar
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1/2 c butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 t mixed herbs (optional) (like basil, oregano,thyme,chives)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
GARLIC AND HERB BUTTER SAUCE
How to Make Steamed Clams with garlic butter
- 1Go thru the clams and remove any open clams, (these clams are dead) and remove any broken shelled clams.
- 2Put remaining good clams in a large bowl and cover with the 6 cups water and vinegar. Allow to stand for about 30 minutes. Drain clams in colander and scrub them with cold water.
- 3put clams in steamer with boiling water. (or use dutch oven with an inch of boiling water in it and cover it tightly) Steam clams for 6 to 8 minutes. Clams need to open at least an inch. Remove clams that open from steamer as they open up . Throw away any clams that do not open after this time period.
Serve hot with the garlic and herb butter sauce
- 4Garlic and herb butter sauce:Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
- 5Stir in lemon juice, herbs (if desired) and crushed garlic. Serve in small bowl along side of clams for dipping