It's an easy recipe to play with and adjust the ingredients to your liking. I've made it without the heavy cream and it still taste great.
4 Tbspbutter, room temperature
1/2 conion, finely chopped
1-2 clovegarlic, minced
1jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
3/4 cchicken stock or broth
6 ozvelveeta cheese, cubed
3 ozshredded pepperjack cheese
1/3 cheavy cream
1 pkg(10 oz) frozen, chopped spinach, drained & thawed
a few dash(es)tabasco
How to Make Spinach Queso
- Melt the butter over medium high heat. Saute the onions for 2 minutes. Then add the jalapeno pepper and garlic, and continue to saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the flour to make a roux. Then slowly add the chicken stock and whisk until you have a creamy consistency.
- Slowly add the Velveeta and continue stirring until melted. Then add the pepperjack cheese, slowly stirring until melted.
- When the cheese is completely melted, add the heavy cream. (Note: you can use 1/2 & 1/2 if you prefer).
- Stir in the drained spinach and season with Tabasco to your liking. Serve with Tortilla chips.