Red Currant Hazelnut Cream Syrup for Pastries etc
You may increase the currants to your desired level, if you favor a prominent currant flavor.
I recommend this with lingonberries, as well.
3/4 cred currants, fresh and destemmed
3/4 cdark brown sugar
2 Tbspdark molasses
1 Tbsplemon or vanilla extract (or half of both)
1 pinchfreshly grated nutmeg
1/2 chazelnut coffee creamer
1 tsporange or lemon zest (optional)
How to Make Red Currant Hazelnut Cream Syrup for Pastries etc
- Place currants and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low medium. Keep covered for about 10 minutes.
- When water is reduced, blend with an immersion blender or food processor.
- Then add sugar and molasses to pan with currant puree. Allow sugar to liquefy. Remove from heat.
- When not on direct heat, add creamer. Still well until well blended.
- Return to heat on low simmer, and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir well, then allow to reduce to syrup consistency. Stirring occasionally.
- Use on pancakes, pastries, or anywhere you would normally use sweet syrup.