Creamy Salted Caramel Sauce
How to Make Creamy Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1Combine sugar and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir together, then run a rubber spatula around the inside edge of the pan to remove any bits of sugar. This will prevent crystallization.
- 2Place the saucepan over low heat until the sugar starts to dissolve. Turn the heat up to medium-high until it starts to thicken. DO NOT STIR. Watching the pot is highly recommended. Caramel burns very easily. It shoud be a deep amber in color and smell slightly toasted.
- 3Add the butter carefully. The mixture will roil and bubble. Whisk until all of the butter is blended. Turn off the heat. Add the heavy cream very slowly - again, the mixture will roil and bubble.
- 4Add the vanilla and salt and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool. To come to room temp will take about 3-4 hours. The sauce will thicken again as it cools.
- 5Keeps for about two weeks in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. It won't last that long, though!