Basil and Toasted Almond Pesto
Add this to pasta and serve with a salad. Makes a simple, but delicious meal.
You can also use it as spread on sandwiches or a dip for veggies.
Pine nuts are usually used to make pesto, but they have become very expensive. Slivered or blanched almonds are a lot less pricey and the taste is not a lot different, especially if you toast them. (You can also use walnuts or pecans, but they are stronger in flavor than pine nuts)
- 1 c
- basil leaves
- 1 clove
- 2 Tbsp
- slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground pepper, if desired
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 1/4 c
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Basil and Toasted Almond Pesto
- 1Place garlic and almonds in food processor (I use my mini processor). Pulse until rough chopped.
- 2Add salt, pepper, if desired, and half of the basil. Pulse until chopped.
- 3Add rest of the basil and pulse until chopped.
- 4Drizzle in about half of the oil and process to blend. Add rest of the oil and parmesan and process until well blended. Check seasonings. Add a little more oil if needed and blend to mix.