AWESOME FRIED CHEESE STICKS
1-1/2 cseasoned bread crumbs
2/3 call purpose flour
1 qtoil for deep frying
1 pkg(24) mozzarella string cheese sticks
2 can(s)(14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained, reserving liquid
1 can(s)(28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 cdiced onion
1 Tbspdried basil
2 tspitalian seasoning
1/2 tspcrushed red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make AWESOME FRIED CHEESE STICKS
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and water.
- Mix the bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl, blend the flour and cornstarch.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 365º F (185ºC).
- One at a time, coat each mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs and finally into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve with Marinara or your favorite Ranch dipping sauce. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- MARINARA SAUCE:
Saute the onions in a saucepan, careful not to let them brown.
- Add the liquid drained from the diced tomatoes.
Add basil, Italian seasonings, sugar and crushed red pepper. Simmer liquid and spices for about 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and cook just until heated, about 1 minute.
- Serve as a dipping sauce with Awesome Fried Cheese Sticks.