All Purpose Mexican Chili Seasoning Mix
Mary Ann Hanson
1/2 cdried parsley
1/3 cdried minced onion
1/4 cdried minced chives
1/3 cchili powder
1/4 cdried cumin
1 tspgarlic powder
1 tspground black pepper
How to Make All Purpose Mexican Chili Seasoning Mix
- Mix all ingredients and blend well. Store in an air tight container.
- For tacos: Brown 1 pound of hamburger and drain. Add 2 T. of seasoning, 2 T. of ketchup, and 1/2 cup water. Simmer stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced. Use for nachos, tacos, taco salad, or on hot dogs for chili dogs with cheese and onions.
- For beans: Sort, rinse, and soak 1 cup of pinto beans. Add to pot with 1 rounded tablespoon of seasoning mix, 3 slices cooked crumbled bacon, and 1 T. of fat or oil. Cover with water. Cook until beans are tender. To make baked beans, add ketchup, brown sugar, and onion to taste. Bake as desired. These beans are so good and the only way I prepare them now!
- For dip: Add 3 T. mix to 1 cup each of sour cream and mayonaise. If desired add 1 or more of the following: 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 c. crumbled cooked bacon, 1 chopped green onion. Refrigerate to blend flavors.
- For chili: Make mix as for tacos but increase mix to 1 1/2 tablespoons. After making meat, add 1 can of kidney or pinto beans, drained and about 2 cups of low or no sodium tomatoes (I use a pint of home canned). Simmer for about 20 minutes. Tastes even better for lunch the next day!
- For sloppy joes: Make mix as for tacos but do not cook yet. Add 2-3 T. brown sugar, 2 tsp. mustard, 1 tsp ground horseradish, 2 tsp. worcesterchire sauce and 1/4 cup ketchup. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve on buns with pickles, cheese, chopped onions, and mustard. This is good on mashed potatoes too.
- I have used this to season cooked chicken, beef, and pork for tacos and burritos. I have used it like a rub on grilled meat. It is really good!