Smoked Fish Appetizer
I have a friend whose husband loves to fish. He smokes fish (trout, whitefish, tuna) in their outdoor smoker and she often brings homemade smoked fish to parties. I love it! However, if you are lucky enough to be able to buy already smoked fish such as whitefish in a deli you can use it in this recipe. I serve it on bagels as a brunch or lunch, sometimes on crackers as an appetizer.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- lemon sliced in half
- 1/4 c
- red onion, minced
- 1/3 c
- mayonnaise (i use fat-free type.)
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream (or substitute)
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- black pepper to taste
- smoked fish such as whitefish, tuna or trout)
How to Make Smoked Fish Appetizer
- 1Although this recipe is really simple you might find the first part intimidating. Use a fork or knife to separate the skin from the fish. Use fingers to peel back the skin which comes off easily.
Remove fins. Turn over and peel back skin the same way.
Open fish to reveal bones inside. Gently pull them away. Place all of the fish meat into a bowl.
- 2After all the fish is in the bowl, remove any pin bones you see. With a fork, flake/break up the fish. After you flake it to you liking, place hands into it an feel with your fingers for any more pin bones and pull them out. Make sure you do not miss any bones.
- 3Squeeze lemons over the fish (I do it over my open hand so I catch the seeds in my fingers.) Stir in the rest of the ingredients.