Syrian Potato Salad
6 mediumpotatoes (i used a mix of yukon gold and red fingerling)
2 mediumcarrots, chopped (i added these for color)
2 stalk(s)celery and leaves, thinly sliced and leaves minced (the celery was my addition)
1/4 cextra virgin olive oil
2 largelemons, juice of (plus save some zest for garnish)
1/4-1/2 tspground allspice, to taste (i use whole allspice and grind in a pestle and mortar)
1 tspground cumin, to taste
1 tspkosher salt
·few sprigs of fresh chives, for garnish (you can substitute italian parsley, cilantro or scallions if desired)
How to Make Syrian Potato Salad
- Boil the potatoes (and carrots if using) in large pot until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Dressing: As the potatoes boil, whisk together the dressing and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and cool briefly. Once cool enough to handle dice the potatoes and place in medium mixing bowl. Add the celery and leaves.
- Pour the dressing over the cooled potatoes. Toss gently to combine the ingredients.
- Peel the eggs and cut into fourths. Arrange the hard boiled eggs around the edge of the bowl and garnish the top of the potato salad with lemon zest and fresh chives or other suitable fresh herb (Italian parsley or scallions.)
- Cover and refrigerate. You can serve the potato salad chilled or at room temperature.