Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
*adapted from another recipe to make it more "authentic" and to use less ingredients, but just as delicious as the original.
** to be clear, there is 1 Tbsp of salt to add to the boiling water when you cook your pasta, then another 1/2 tsp to add to your dressing mixture, and then any extra salt to taste. I don't add any extra salt (personal preference).
1 lbmacaroni, elbow
1 Tbspsalt, to add to boiling water
1/4 capple cider vinegar
2 cmayonnaise (best foods or hellmann's), divided
2 cmilk, whole or 2%, divided
1 Tbspbrown sugar
1 ccarrot, grated
1/4 csweet maui onion, finely grated
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp salt and the macaroni; cook until VERY soft, 15+ minutes. Drain and return to pot; add the apple cider vinegar and toss until absorbed. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the milk, 1 cup of the mayonnaise, the 1 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp pepper.
- Once the cooked pasta has cooled for 10 minutes, whisk in the dressing. Let cool completely.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise (whisked together), along with the onion & carrot. Stir to combine, then season to taste with salt & pepper. Chill for at least one hour before serving.
- OPTIONAL: You can add more of the milk/mayo mix if the noodles soak up too much and seem "dry." Sometimes I'll had another 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup milk. Let chill slightly afterwards.