Salad-e Oliveh -Persian Potato, Egg, Chicken Salad
- 4 large
- chicken breast halves poached, when cool, finely shred
- 6-8 large
- potatoes, boiled and roughly mashed
- 4-6 large
- eggs, hard boiled, roughly mashed
- celery stalks, finely diced
- 4-6 oz
- dill pickle, finely chopped (should be a sour pickle, not sweet)
- 1/2 c
- peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium
- carrot, shredded
- 2-3 tsp
- lime juice
- olive oil, extra virgin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Salad-e Oliveh -Persian Potato, Egg, Chicken Salad
- 1This recipe will serve up to 4 people. Most of the work is in the preparation of the ingredients. It’s always best to prepare all your ingredients. There’s a lot of vegetables to peel and chop, cook and mash.
- 2If you have to cook the chicken specifically for this dish you can either fry it or poach it. I usually poach it in seasoned water with a teaspoon of lime juice.
- 3Once you have finished all the preparation and the cooked ingredients have cooled down, add all of them together in a large mixing bowl. Pour on the mayonnaise, add the lime juice, salt and pepper and gently mix. The ingredients should adhere to each other with the mayo and now your Salad Olivieh is ready to serve.
- 4It should be served cold.
Present the Salad Olivieh in a dish of your choice and decorate with strips of carrot, or gherkins and olives. You can decorate it in which ever way you choose.
- 5Traditionally, Salad Oliveh is mounded on a platter and covered with additional mayonnaise mixed with a little lime juice spread over like frosting then decorated as you like.
- 6The key to this salad is having all vegetables finely diced except potatoes which are roughly mashed. Sliced green olives make a wonderful addition along with a drizzle of olive oil over top. A meal in itself.