German Potato Salad
6 slicebacon, cooked and crumbled
10-12 largepotatoes cooked in their jackets
1 mediumonion, diced
3stalks of celery, diced
2heaping teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 ccider vinegar
1 tspkosher salt
1/4 cfresh parsley, chopped
1 3/4 cwater
How to Make German Potato Salad
- Cook potatoes until tender; peel and slice into a large bowl.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and crumble.
- Add onions and celery to bacon grease and saute for a minutes until softened.
- Add cornstarch and mix well. Add sugar, vinegar and seasonings, bacon and water.
- Bring to a boil and stir until thick.
- Pour over potatoes. Let stand a few minutes to soak up sauce. Potato salad should be served warm.
- My mom's family was English and they don't eat food as sweet, so she would cut the sugar to about 1/8 cup. the region of Germany that my great grandmother was from believed if you used a cup of vinegar you used a cup of sugar. I guess I take after the German side of my family, I like sugar and vinegar in equal amounts. Seems to balance better to me.
- When taking this to potlucks, etc. I put into a crock pot and keep it on warm otherwise the bacon fat in the dressing firms up and makes the salad a bit unpleasant.