German Potato Salad
- 6 slice
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 10-12 large
- potatoes cooked in their jackets
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 c
- heaping teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 c
- cider vinegar
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 c
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 3/4 c
How to Make German Potato Salad
- 1Cook potatoes until tender; peel and slice into a large bowl.
- 2Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and crumble.
- 3Add onions and celery to bacon grease and saute for a minutes until softened.
- 4Add cornstarch and mix well. Add sugar, vinegar and seasonings, bacon and water.
- 5Bring to a boil and stir until thick.
- 6Pour over potatoes. Let stand a few minutes to soak up sauce. Potato salad should be served warm.
- 7My mom's family was English and they don't eat food as sweet, so she would cut the sugar to about 1/8 cup. the region of Germany that my great grandmother was from believed if you used a cup of vinegar you used a cup of sugar. I guess I take after the German side of my family, I like sugar and vinegar in equal amounts. Seems to balance better to me.
- 8When taking this to potlucks, etc. I put into a crock pot and keep it on warm otherwise the bacon fat in the dressing firms up and makes the salad a bit unpleasant.