Austrian Potato Salad AKA Erdapfelsalat
2 lbtiny potatoes
1sweet onion, chopped well
2 cbeef broth
2 cchicken broth
2 Tbspchampagne or white wine vinegar
pinchsalt, to taste
pinchpepper, to taste
pinchsugar to taste
How to Make Austrian Potato Salad AKA Erdapfelsalat
- . Place the potatoes in a good sized pot and cover with the beef (oxtail!) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender (you can poke them with a fork to check - it should take about 15 minutes max.)
- Remove the potatoes from the cooking liquid, but don't toss it out
- Add the onion, oil and vinegar to 1/2 cup of the broth and let it all get warm together. You don't want to actually cook the onion, just get it going with the other ingredients. Add dashes of the salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- When the potatoes have cooled off enough to you can touch them, cut them into coin shaped slices about 1/4 inch thick. It's important that you be a bit tough about handling the potatoes while they are still pretty hot. This is key!
- Toss the potatoes into a bowl with the warmed broth/onion/oil/vinegar mixture, making sure they all get a good does. Cover and keep warm.
- Let the potatoes marinate for at least an hour before serving, so they take on lots of the flavor. Then, just before you serve, add some freshly chopped parsley. Taste again and see if it needs a bit more oil, salt, pepper and then add to taste.