Roasted shrimp, corn, orzo, lemon, and parsley salad
If you prefer, you can grill the shrimp and corn on an outdoor grill for a more smokey flavor.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Yum-my! This is such a light, flavorful recipe. I LOVE the addition of orzo. I used a little less basil than called for and it turned out great, so feel free to adjust as you see fit - this recipe is so good it can handle it! The Test Kitchen
- few pinch
- ears of white corn, peeled and cleaned
- 3/4 lb
- orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- lemons (juice of 3, plus 2 quartered to serve)
- 1 tsp
- black pepper, fresh ground
- 2 lb
- shrimp, peeled and deveined
- sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 1 c
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1 c
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 10 dash(es)
- hot sauce (like tabasco)
How to Make Roasted shrimp, corn, orzo, lemon, and parsley salad
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and bring the water to a boil.
Boil (alternatively you can also steam or grill) the cleaned ears of corn for 10 minutes then remove them with tongs and set aside.
- 3In the same boiling water, add the orzo and simmer for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. While the pasta boils, cut the kernels off the corn using a sharp knive and set aside in a bowl. Once the orzo is ready (taste before deciding!) drain it and pour it into a large bowl.
- 4Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over pasta and stir well.
- 5Place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through but do not overcook. They should just turn pink.
- 6While the shrimp is cooking place the shaved onion, red wine vinegar and brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss well. Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes. This will slightly caramelize and soften the onions. Add the shrimp and the onions to the orzo.
- 7Now add the parsley and basil, then season as needed with more salt, pepper and hot sauce. Toss well.
- 8Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving. Serve with lemon wedges (and more hot sauce for the guests to add as desired).