- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 c
- julianed carrots
- 1 1/2 c
- broccoli florets-cut small
- 1 1/2 c
- peas, frozen
- 2/3 c
- red onion-diced or slivers
- 1 c
- bacon, cooked-chunked
- 8 oz
- black olives-sliced or chunked
- 15 or 16 oz
- 1/3to1/2 c
- mustard-to taste(use yellow or german)
- 1/2 c
- dill pickle juice
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic-to taste
THIS WILL SERVE A DOZEN OR SO PEOPLE!
How to Make Nan's Potluck Pasta Salad
- 1Cook 1# of elbow macaroni-(or bow tie macaroni)about 10 min(aldente-tender yet firm)in 6to8 qt pot w/4to6 qts water. Drain water and run cold water over them, to cool quickly-to stop the cooking process. Have the dressing ready to pour over the noodles @ this time OR the noodles will get sticky. (*IF you are a new cook-you may want to prep the dressing BEFORE boiling the noodles-to ensure it's ready before the noodles are done cooking & drained)
- 2While noodles cook:Fry bacon; drain,on paper towel, cool and chunk. Meanwhile; julian carrots & cut broccoli florets into small pcs/diced or slivered...blanch in microwave 2 min to slightly soften, in enough water to cover veggies. Add peas & onions and cook 1 more min.
- 3*Check noodles-do not over cook! IF you are a new cook-you may need to check on noodles before the veggies are all cut &/or blanched OR you could prep part or all of the veggies prior to cooking noodles.
- 4*Open and drain a 8oz can of black olives. (any size will do) Either slice into 3 or 4 round slices OR cut in 1/4's the length of the olives(from hole to hole)-however YOU think it looks nice-I prefer the circular cuts myself and cut some twice(3 pcs) and cut some 3 times(4 pcs)- just to vary the thickness/looks of the pcs.
- 5*AGAIN-If you are a fairly new cook, less experience MAY cause you to be a tad slower and may need to mix this dressing before you add the noodles to the boiling water, cut veggies, cook bacon,etc BECAUSE you will WANT this dressing "ready to go onto the noodles, right after you have cooled them"! (so the noodles do NOT stick together-as you finish prepping)
- 6*DRESSING* Mix all together,in small bowl or a qt jar can be lidded and shaken! Mayonnaise, mustard (yellow OR coarse ground/German- which ever you prefer), pickle juice, basil and minced garlic. Mix well. (This can be made the day/evening before OR prepped while you are boiling noodles, chopping veggies, etc)
- 7Pour about 2/3 of dressing over the salad and mix well. Depending on how much dressing you like-you may/may not want to add more. ALSO; if you are making this ahead, the night before or the morning before serving; you will notice that the dressing will be absorbed into the noodles and seem drier then when you first mixed it. You can add more later, if you feel it needs it. ALSO; if you "run short", for your liking; you can always add a little ranch dressing, to give it the moistness you prefer. OR use all Ranch Dressing RATHER then make THIS dressing! (You'll need 2-16 oz bottles of dressing to be sure you have enough!)
- 8Serve this cold, with fried chicken OR pork chops OR take it to a pot-luck meal!