Couscous Salad (Kuskus)
It's typically served at room temperature or it can be chilled and served later.
1 cupcouscous (uncooked)
4 to 6green onions, chopped
1 mediumcucumber, peeled and chopped
2 or 3 mediumtomatoes, chopped
2 Tbspfresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbspfresh mint leaves, chopped
1 tspblack pepper
1 largelemon, juiced and zested
1 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Couscous Salad (Kuskus)
- Cover couscous with the water and let soak 30 to 45 minutes or until tender. Drain in a fine-mesh colander or sieve, pressing out excess liquid. Place couscous in a large salad bowl.
(Alternatively, to serve as a warm side dish, you can boil the water, reduce the heat level, add couscous to water and let simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes or as directed on package, then drain in fine-mesh colander.)
- While the couscous is soaking, you can start chopping the green onions, cucumber, tomatoes, fresh parsley and fresh mint. Place chopped vegetables and herbs in a large salad bowl.
- Add the soft couscous to the salad bowl, and toss well.
- Whisk together the salt, pepper, lemon juice, 1 Tbsp lemon zest, and olive oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently.
- Serve immediately, or cover bowl and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.