- 1/2 c
- extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 3 clove
- fresh garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- baguette, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 - 4 lb
- best ripe summer tomatoes, all varieties & colors
- 1/2 medium
- red onion, chopped fine
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- good balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 oz
- fresh basil, thinly sliced
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
How to Make Tomato-and-Bread Salad
- 1Heat half of the olive oil and butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat just until better is melted. Remove from heat, add garlic and bread and mix well.
- 2Place skillet in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden and crisp. Remove skillet from oven and set aside to cool.
- 3Prep the tomatoes - peel if you like, core and slice into bite sized pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Add onion, vinegar, remaining 1/4 of olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- 4Just before serving, add the bread and basil to the tomatoes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Spoon into shallow bowls and dive in!!