Spiced Indian Raw Cabbage Salad
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 tspextra virgin coconut oil
1 tspblack mustard seeds, toasted
3/4 tspturmeric powder
2 Tbspraw sesame oil
1 tspunrefined sea salt
1/2 largehead green cabbage, shredded
How to Make Spiced Indian Raw Cabbage Salad
- Combine the shredded cabbage and the salt in a large bowl. Mix it up well with your hands and let it sit for 1 hour so the salt can extract the water from the cabbage.
- When the hour is up put the cabbage on a cotton tea towel and roll up the ends and squeeze the water out of the cabbage. Blot the cabbage with paper towels, you want it as dry as possible. You want it to be crunchy but not hard.
- Clean out the bowl you used to emaciate the cabbage and dry it well. Put the cabbage back into the bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil with the mustard seeds until they start to pop. The pour the oil and seeds through a fine sieve so the oil drains off. Cool the seeds in the sieve.
- Add the cooled mustard seeds to the cabbage along with the turmeric and sesame oil.
- Toss this very well. The mustard seed in this is slightly pungent. If you don't eat this right away, the salad will last 2-3 days in the fridge.
- This is a very tasty and healthy salad.