Robin's Southern Cornbread Salad
1baked cornbread (8x8 or 9x9 – brownie pan sized) – use your favorite recipe or store bought variety. i've used 2 boxes of the jiffy corn muffin mix for ease in preparation.
1 can(s)seasoned pinto beans or ranch style beans (drained and rinsed thoroughly)
1 can(s)corn (drained and rinsed thoroughly)
1 lbbacon (chopped and cooked until crisp) more or less to taste
2 can(s)rotel (diced tomato and green chili) drained (i use original, but hot or mild will work)
1 mediumonion (diced) more or less to taste –
1green bell pepper (diced) more or less to taste
1 pkg(tub) cherry tomatoes (quartered)
2 cshredded cheddar cheese (i use the 4 cheese variety) – reserve about 1/2 cup for garnish
1 pkgranch seasoning dry mix (or 2 tablespoons dry mix)
How to Make Robin's Southern Cornbread Salad
- In a large bowl (or trifle container), start layering the ingredients in the order given:
• Crumble or cube your cornbread into small pieces, place on the bottom of bowl
• Drained beans
• Drained corn
• Chopped bacon
• Diced onion and bell pepper
• Quartered cherry tomatoes
• Shredded cheese
- If you don't want store-bought ranch dressing, here's an easy copy-cat recipe to make it yourself:
Homemade “Copy-cat” version of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
• ½ cup dry buttermilk powder
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley for blending, 1 teaspoon reserved
• ½ teaspoon dried dill weed for blending, ½ teaspoon reserved
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes (or dried chopped onion)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic salt
• ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
• Dash of sugar
1. Add all the dry ingredients except the reserved teaspoon of dried parsley and the ½ teaspoon of dried dill to your blender. Blend until a nice powder.
2. Hand mix in the reserved parsley and dill - you want to see some herbs in your mix.
3. Store dry mix in an air-tight container or jar in your pantry for 2-3 months or in the freezer for 6 months or longer.
To make Hidden Valley Ranch Dip:
Mix 2 tablespoons of dry mix with ½ - 1 cup of Sour Cream. Chill for 2 hours and serve as a dip. If for some reason your sour cream isn't very thick, and you want your dip to really set up thickly add in ½ teaspoon of unflavored gelatin.
To make Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing for salads n such:
3 Tablespoons Dry Ranch Dip mix
1 cup of mayonnaise
2/3 cup buttermilk
Mix together and let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Just to let you know I tried this recipe with regular milk instead of the buttermilk first and it was NOT great tasting. But using the buttermilk it tasted just like the real deal. So keep that in mind...real buttermilk is the key to the dressing.
(2 tablespoons = 1 packet)