Pam's World's Easiest Shrimp Salad
3 to 4 ccelery stalks, chopped fairly fine
1 smallshallot, or 3 tbsp sweet onion or 4 -5 small green onions
2/3 cmayonnaise (not miracle whip please)
·salt and pepper
1 lbshrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
1/2 cpecans, in pieces, toasted if desired
How to Make Pam's World's Easiest Shrimp Salad
- Wash and chop celery, place in medium mixing bowl. Very finely mince the onion product of your choice and add to bowl. Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp salt and mix well. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
- While waiting, prepare shrimp.
I USE "COCKTAIL" SHRIMP THAT ARE ABOUT 20-35 TO THE POUND. IF YOU WISH, YOU CAN USE SMALLER SHRIMP AND LEAVE THEM WHOLE OR CUT IN HALF.
Make sure there are no shell or tail remnants in the shrimp and chop each cocktail shrimp into about 3 pieces. Set aside
Coarsely chop the pecans and reserve in a small bowl until serving.
- After 10 -20 minutes, drain the chopped celery well through a fine strainer, discarding water which has accumulated. Replace celery into the bowl which you have dried with a paper towel.
- Zest the lemon and add 1 tsp. to the bowl. Squeeze juice of half the lemon into the bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mix well. Add chopped shrimp and salt and /or pepper to taste. Mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This tastes better if allowed to meld for a couple of hours, but can be eaten immediately. If more water accumulates, carefully drain off excess and add a little more mayo if needed.
- Stir in the all but a couple of tablespoons of the pecans when ready to serve, decorate with celery leaves and top with a few pecans.