- 1/3 large
- daikon (i subbed white carrot for a portion of the daikon)
- 1/2 medium
- orange carrot, thick end
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- garnish: fresh cilantro, daikon sprouts, watercress sprouts (optional)
How to Make Kohaku Namasu (Red & White Salad)
- 1Whisk together the dressing and set aside.
- 2Cut the daikon and carrot into "sengiri" (thin julienne). Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt, and let sit for 20 minutes. The vegetables will release quite a bit of water. *Drain, and squeeze as much liquid as possible. If this step is not taken, the water will dilute the dressing. Squeezing this extra moisture also leads to a crunchier texture and more intense flavor. *I use a salad spinner to help remove moisture.
- 3Combine the vegetables with the dressing. The salt from the previous step should be enough, however, it depends on how much is lost when squeezing the moisture. Therefore, taste before serving. If needed, add 1/4 tsp more. Chill for at least 30 minutes to combine the flavors.
About Kohaku Namasu (Red & White Salad)
You May Also Like:
Show 3 Comments & Reviews