Fresh Beet Salad
3large fresh beets
6 slicefatty bacon
1head of red or green swiss chard ribs removed and greens coarsely chopped
2 cfrozen peas, defrosted and drained
1 cfeta cheese
·fresh cracked pepper to top
How to Make Fresh Beet Salad
- Dip whole beets into pan of boiling water for about 1 minute then remove. This will make them much easier to peel.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in a pot and cover with one inch of water and bring to a boil till they are just fork tender about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, fry your streaky bacon.
- Remove bacon and crumble and set aside. DO NOT drain your bacon grease. Keep your pan just the way it is. You are going to use this pan and bacon grease to cook your salad.
- Heat up your bacon pan and add swiss chard. Cover for 3 minutes. Add bacon, beets, and peas cover for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot... topped with feta cheese and fresh cracked pepper and enjoy!
- I use peas in this recipe because they are available all year round. But I have also used broccoli, asparagus, peppers, and green beans. Use what is fresh and pleasing to your palate.