Fresh Beet Salad
- large fresh beets
- 6 slice
- fatty bacon
- head of red or green swiss chard ribs removed and greens coarsely chopped
- 2 c
- frozen peas, defrosted and drained
- 1 c
- feta cheese
- fresh cracked pepper to top
How to Make Fresh Beet Salad
- 1Dip whole beets into pan of boiling water for about 1 minute then remove. This will make them much easier to peel.
- 2Peel beets and cut into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in a pot and cover with one inch of water and bring to a boil till they are just fork tender about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, fry your streaky bacon.
- 4Remove bacon and crumble and set aside. DO NOT drain your bacon grease. Keep your pan just the way it is. You are going to use this pan and bacon grease to cook your salad.
- 5Heat up your bacon pan and add swiss chard. Cover for 3 minutes. Add bacon, beets, and peas cover for another 3 minutes.
- 6Serve hot... topped with feta cheese and fresh cracked pepper and enjoy!
- 7I use peas in this recipe because they are available all year round. But I have also used broccoli, asparagus, peppers, and green beans. Use what is fresh and pleasing to your palate.