Cucumber Salad Thai-style
- 2 large
- english cucumbers
- jalapeno pepper (i only used 1/3 of a yellow jalapeno)
- 1 medium
- shallot, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp
- fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lime juice (save some of the zest for garnish)
- 1 tsp
- granulated sugar (i used superfine sugar)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro or fresh (thai) basil (i used a combination of fresh cilantro, fresh thai basil and a small amount of fresh mint)
- 1/4 c
- salted peanuts, lightly crushed
How to Make Cucumber Salad Thai-style
- 1Peel the cucumbers, then slice them in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scrape down the center of each half to remove any seeds. Slice the cucumber halves crosswise into thin slices. A mandoline is best, but a knife is fine. Trim the jalapeno, slice in half lengthwise, then remove the seeds before mincing.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the jalapeno, shallots, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, then stir to combine. Add the cucumbers and toss to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- 3Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or platter, then top with the cilantro/fresh herbs, peanuts and a garnish of lime zest.