Cucumber-Onion & Sour Cream Salad
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- large cucumbers
- big onions - i use yellow
- 1 - 16 oz
- sour cream
- 1/2 - 1 c
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- white vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Cucumber-Onion & Sour Cream Salad
- 1Peel 9 large cucumbers and the onions, slice and put into a large mixing bowl. Cover with water and then cover the top with lots of ice cubes. Let this set out for about 2 hrs. This will make the cukes really cold and crisp.
- 2While the above is setting out, I mix the container of sour cream and mayonaise, sugar and white vinegar together. Stir and mix really well, put this into the refrigerator until the cukes are ready. Stir a couple of times while waiting.
- 3When the time is up, drain the cukes and onions in a large colander. After draining completely, put them back into the mixing bowl, cover with a healthy amount of salt and pepper. Then pour your sour cream mixture over the cukes/onions and stir really well. I always put this back into the refrigerator for at least and hour, but prefer it cooling for 2 hours. Stir again before serving. This is really good on a hot summer day, and on the side with hamburgers. I also love the taste of the sour cream sauce over chicken and on top of fresh garden tomatoes.
- 4You can also mix up all of the ingredients and put into refrigerator for the day or over night if your working and need for the evening meal of a picnic. It will be nice and cold and is just as good as if you had put the ice over it. I have had to do this before and we ate it just the same.